OK, not a full blown – mariachi band, tortilla-eating, salsa dancing good time…but Mexican food none-the- less. Slightly lame Mexican food…but hey, what do you want? I’m not Mexican! Well, depending on who you ask I’m not. My mother-in-law thinks that because I am of Portuguese (<25%) decent, and Portugal is next to Spain, and in Spain they speak Spanish, and in Mexico they speak Spanish…so really, it’s the same thing. Help me Lord.
Someday I’m going to mess with her and show up at her house riding a donkey with a sombrero on my head. Or maybe the next time she comes over I’ll frame a picture of myself photo-shopped next to Juan Valdez. Shoot, he’s Colombian. Well in Columbia they speak Spanish so I’m sure she wouldn’t notice the difference.
Can you tell I’ve thought about this WAY more than necessary? Sí?
- 1 sprays cooking spray
- 4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 15 oz canned fat free refried beans
- 10 oz frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 oz canned green chili peppers, mild, diced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 3/4c. Black or Pinto Beans
- 3/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I like WW Shredded Mexican Cheese!)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped (optional; for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 2-quart rectangular, round or oval baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa and cumin. Spoon 2 cups of rice mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out to evenly cover bottom of dish.
3. In another large bowl, combine refried beans, black or pinto beans, corn (I used frozen leftover corn-on-the-cob), chili peppers and chili power. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bean mixture on top of rice layer and smooth out top.
4. sprinkle with 6 tablespoons of cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and smooth out top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Place casserole on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillage. Bake until heated through and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with cilantro (if desired), cut into 6 pieces and serve.
Serves: 6 – 1c. portions