I’m sorry; I couldn’t resist the alliteration.
I was craving a burger today. Real. Bad. I really didn’t want to halt any progress though so I began to look for alternatives. I’m not extremely comfortable with the idea of eating weird vegetarian food quite yet. I get very hot and flustered in “that” section of the grocery store, so I was thrilled when I found a Black Bean Burger recipe online. I actually had all the ingredients too. That never happens! The Result: Burger Heaven
Black Bean Burgers
1 (15 oz.) canned Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 Cup Dry Italian Breadcrumbs
1/3 Cup Chopped Shallots (or onions)
1/4 Cup Shredded Carrots
2 Tablespoons Cornmeal (I didn’t have any so I used corn muffin mix – totally worked)
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced through garlic press
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 tbsp Salsa
1 tbsp Worchester Sauce
1 Teaspoon Fat Free Sour Cream
1 Teaspoon Fat Free Mayonnaise
1 Teaspoon Salsa
1. Rinse and drain black beans and divide in half. Put half of them in a mixing bowl and the other in a food processor. Pulse until you have pureed chunks.
2. Mince garlic and shallots. Shred carrots.
3. Combine whole beans, bean puree, veggies and the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bow. Stir to incorporate. Do not over combine, just enough to mix.
Not exactly appetizing at this point
4. Divide into 4 equal parts
5. Spray grill pan with Spray butter and heat to Medium High. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until crispy.
6. Assemble the sauce. 1 tsp Light Sour cream, 1 tsp Fat Free Mayonnaise and 1 tsp salsa.
7. Result? Bean Burger Heaven!
Points: 3 per patty (does not include bun or sauce)
Click here for a printable version of Black Bean Burgers!
Black Bean Brownies
1 Box Betty Crocker Low Fat Fudge Brownie Mix
1 (15 oz.) Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Cup Water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Puree the beans and water together until smooth in a blender.
3. Stir into the brownie mix until combined.
4. Spray a 9X13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the side of the pan comes out almost clean.
6. Cool completely and then cut into 24 pieces.
Don’t worry, you can’t taste the beans. This brownie is more like a dense cake like brownie.
Points: 2 per brownie