Since The Mister is flying somewhere over Nebraska right now, on his way to sunny (read: not cold and snowy) California, I have decided to declare this week Chick Food week. I started with tonight’s dinner: Whole-Wheat Pasta Salad with Walnuts and Feta Cheese. Yup, no meat in sight. To add insult-to-injury I served it with a side of steamed broccoli and a pumpkin muffin with no butter. Boy would this meal have him in a tither. “Luckily” he is enjoying delicious re-hydrated plane food. That should hit the spot.
Whole-Wheat Pasta Salad with Walnuts and Feta Cheese
Another Recipe by Ellie Krieger
1/2lb whole-wheat pasta (I used fusilli)
1/2c walnut pieces
1/2c feta cheese (I used reduced fat, but whatever your into)
1/4c diced red onion (chopped finely, no one wants a big hunk of onion)
1 1/2c baby spinach, shredded
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
salt & pepper to taste
1. Measure out 1/2 lb of pasta
1/2 lb or 8oz. Weird is that Rachael Ray in the background? It is! She has her own stocks now! I found her beef stock at the grocery store last Thursday. It has nothing to do with this recipe, but I just like her. Now where were we?
2. Cook the pasta according to package directions (ie. boil water)
3. In a small dry skillet toast walnuts for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
4. Chop onion (finely), feta and walnuts. Shred spinach.
5. In a small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic and mustard
Yeah, that’s right I buy store brand.
6. It looks like this until you whisk it:
7. Pour dressing over the pasta and toss ingredients to combine. Season with salt and pepper. This salad will keep in the fridge for about a day.
Chick Food: Day 1
Serve with a side of steamed broccoli
Serving size: 2 cups=9 points